Additional resources on Arctic observing
Collaborators and authors have shared additional articles, tools, and resources that are relevant to the AOS 2016 themes. The following articles and resources have not been part of the white paper review process but are important contributions to the Summit.
We would be pleased to share other resources. Please contact us to share information on other potential contributions to Arctic observing.
Articles and reports
- Link to AOS special issue of journal Arctic - White papers from AOS 2013 and updates from 2014.
- Alessa, L.; Kliskey, A.; Pulsifer, P.; Griffith, D.; Williams, P.; Druckenmiller, M.; McCann, H.; Myers, B.; Beaujean, G.; and Jackson, L. Best practices for Community-based Observing: A national workshop report. (Oct. 5-6, Seattle WA). (PDF)
- Johnson, N.; Behe, C.;Danielsen, F.; Kruemmel, E.-M.; Nickels, S.; and Pulsifer, P. 2016. Community-based monitoring and Indigenous Knowledge in a Changing Arctic. A review for the Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks. (http://www.inuitcircumpolar.com/uploads/3/0/5/4/30542564/cbm_final_report.pdf; PDF)
- Knopp, Jennie; Huntington, Henry; and Westdal, Kristin. The importance of Community Involvement in Arctic Conservation. Policy brief for the Arctic Observing Summit, 2016. (PDF) (contact: jknopp [at] oceansnorth.ca)
- SAON Committee on Observations and Networks (CON). 2016. Inventory Work Plan (PDF)
- Sweatte, C.; Storvold, R.; Ruel, P.; Wuennenberg, M.; Tarr, K.; la Cour-Harbo, A.; Feldberg, B.; Kivinen, J.; Hólm, H.; Raustein, M.; Jangren, E.; Mulac, B.; Adler, J.; Davis, D.; Cary, L.; and Lesenkov, S. 2015. Implementing Scientific Data Collection across the Arctic Oceanic Region Utilizing Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), Oslo. 5 pp. (PDF)
- Walker, D. A., & J. L Peirce (eds.) 2015. Rapid Arctic Transitions due to Infrastructure and Climate (RATIC): A contribution to ICARP III. Alaska Geobotany Center Publication AGC 15Z 02. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, Alaska, 58 pp. (PDF)
Tools and resources
- Arctic Council Working Groups and initiatives - websites and more information:
- Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks (SAON)
- Circumpolar Biodiversity Monitoring Program (CBMP)
- Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP)
- More coming soon...